Saturday, July 01, 2006

Laundry: Andy Rooney style

I was recently told, second-hand, that "all smart people watch 60 minutes." Fortunately, I have been watching the show and, in particular, the Andy Rooney segments. I have a great admiration for the sophisticated simplicity of his perspectively honest missives and curmudgeon's disposition. What follows is my best effort of describing a simple task I undertook today, channeling the Socratic Andy Rooney...

You see, I do all my laundry in a single, marathon session--a fashion that has suited me since I became responsible for my own laundry (thanks for those 18 years Mom). Seems more efficient to me to operate in this fashion, though I've noticed a difference in viewpoint with some, which surveys will tell us are primarily those of the opposite gender. The same survey reveals that men are four times more likely than women to find "spending time with their laundry partner the best part of doing laundry." However, "women can take solace in the fact that men are 3 times more likely to report that they stare at their laundry as it cycles."

Do you realize how much water your washer uses for a single load of laundry? In the United Sates, over 12 million gallons of water a day is used for laundry--that's nearly 4.4 billion gallons a year. And how does the washer work? Does it really clean my clothes? Would scrubbing my clothes get them any cleaner? What deficit in cleanliness am I willing to trade for modern convenience? What about the different brands of laundry detergent--is one better than the other? Turns outs that yes, some detergents are better at getting out certain types of stains. And dryer sheets/fabric softeners-- what are they made of? Whatever it is, they sure are handy.

Finally, I have a lesson to share with you. If you are doing your laundry in a marathon session like me, be sure to include the clothes you're wearing in the last load. There's nothing more disappointing than putting away all the laundry, only to realize that the clothes you're wearing are dirty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well done. Definitely reminded me of Andy Rooney. I, too, watch 60 minutes when I get a chance (or when someone kindly tapes it for me to watch later). I have an even better suggestion for your laundry. . . just get someone else to do your it! Then you don't feel as bad when you start to fill up your laundry basket again with the dirty clothes that you are wearing.

Blog Community

Add to Technorati Favorites